This Post was ready to go shortly after the conclusion of the Woodburn Season Opener, however, the accident in Mission (see Post- “Stan’s Unlucky, Lucky Friday”) took precedence. That behind us now and Stan on the mend, I did want to report on how our first outing went, so…. Here Goes!
2012- Season Opener~ May 19-20
We had a major thrash getting our old Gal ready, as we were making plans to have a new car for this season. After countless hours of devoted work from Stan and Mike along with help from our faithful Clutch Guy Jake, we finally arrived with VERY high hopes for the 2012 Season Opener at Woodburn where we were pleased to have our whole team together again for the first time this year. An acknowledgement of the Team it takes to put this Show together seems very appropriate here-
- Stan Wise ~ The one who knows more about where everything goes on this program almost than I do. Dedication, Passion and Faithfulness OOZE out of Stan.
- Jake Vaage ~ Kick Butt Clutch Dude- This guy KNOWS how to make a Clutch Flat- That’s “MISTER Flat” to you!
- Mike Cady ~ Our 10 Year Groupie, Now Crew Dude who’s doing an AWESOME job- Pure Passion.
- Keith McCurdy ~ We’ve been doing this together a VERY Long time- Great Friend, and a WEALTH of Engine Building Knowledge. Very Cool Cat Under Pressure.
- Shelly (LouLaBelle) Kinney ~ My Niece and our Data Entry Specialist. She enters all the VOLUMES of Data this Car generates into a VERY Cool Spreadsheet I developed. Tedious and Important Work- She’s VERY Good! Now, she’s learning Motor work!
- Mom (Irene) ~ Feeds us all as if we were at a 4 Star Restaurant! Unbelievable Food- and its WONDERFUL to Race with your Family!
- Robbie (Gregg’s Sweetheart & His Bride) ~ Packs the Chutes, Fuels the Car & Cleans the Oil Pan. She knows more about what to look for in the Bottom of an Oil Pan than 90% of the Veteran Racers I’ve been with. She makes my Racing worth doing- Faithful & NEVER Complains. I should be more like her!
That’s our Team- These People invest COUNTLESS Hours on our A/Fuel Dragster Program and make it all possible. We have a Car that consistently is safe and that “nothing falls off of”, all because of the hours invested by these people. I owe them a debt of gratitude and wanted to express my Thanks Loudly here!
On to The Season Opener~
The Car has a fresh Motor this Year, with new Sleeves, new Rings and the same Tune-Up it had when we ran the 5.420 ET 264.39 MPH last year. I knew that having a fresh, tight motor would make MORE power, but no one could help me determine how MUCH more. Our first hit of the year showed this to be true, as we went “up in smoke”, completely blazing the tires. I have one Pic of that Run I’m posting here that is telling, in that is shows the front tires off the ground, so it WAS trying. If it had the front tires up (as it did), transferring the weight to the rear tires and STILL smoked the tires (as it ALSO did), then, well, then we were simply WAY off in our Power to Clutch settings. Darn.
Compression and Clutch changes were made and we’re ready for Sunday and…….., and…… and I want the WEATHER Man’s Job!!! That’s the job where you can be wrong 60% of the time and STILL keep your job and get paid pretty handsomely! The forecast was for a pretty nice day. We woke to anything BUT a pretty nice day! The constant rain forced them to call the event, leaving us to only wonder what coulda’ been! Darn! Nothing’s hurt and we’re ready to go! We will schedule an Outing to come back and Test soon. Stay Tuned, as we’ll announce when we’re coming back for testing…….